It was a quiet gloomy afternoon, after a crazy morning. I was sitting at the piano, playing through one of my favorite songbooks. All of sudden, a thought ran through my head, stirring up a lot of emotion. The question bothered me: what am I really living for?
- Am I living to learning Hebrew? (I am taking an intensive 20 hrs. per week language course with HaYovel. But learning Hebrew does not consume me…)
- Am I living to show God’s love to children?
- Am I living to keep my family running smoothly & in harmony?
- Am I living to please myself with daydreams, movies & books?
- Am I living each day just to get a to-do list done?
Really, what should I live for?
It was like God tapped me on the shoulders and pointed out the 2nd verse of the song that I was playing:
To seek Your face, to feel Your joy
To share the love You give me
To live my life to glorify
The One who died to save me.*
The words jumped off the page at me. God answered my question. My life here on earth is not supposed to be about ME—my ministry, my talents, my accomplishments, my family, my to-list, my life, etc.
Life is to live seeking Yeshua’s face, to experience His joy & share with those around me the love that He gives me.
John 17:3 “And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.”
Psalms 16:11“Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.”
Matthew 10:8 “…freely ye have received, freely give.”
What are you living for?
*Words are from the song, “I Will Live For You” by Rachel Wissmann.